How To Change Your Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) – This Is How I Do Diabetes – Tips & Tricks

I’m so excited to share the first episode of my new YouTube series This Is How I Do Diabetes with you today!

I hope that these videos will educate, inspire, and also encourage YOU to share how YOU do diabetes with our community as well, because learning from each other is simply an invaluable resource.

I can’t tell you how many tips and tricks I’ve picked up over the years watching videos of our peers in the diabetes community…tons of information that no doctor or endocrinologist would’ve ever been able to provide, unless they lived with diabetes themselves.

And, even more meaningful to me is that when I watch other people doing the day to day things that we all do when living with diabetes, it acts as a much needed reminder that I’m not alone on my diabetes journey, and that is something that offers me immense comfort and a sense of belonging that I need in order to live my best life.

This week I’m showing how I change my Dexcom G5 continuous glucose monitor (CGM). I talk about little tips that I’ve picked up over the years that help me keep sensors on for up to a whole month!

Leave a comment and let me know what you do differently, or if you have a tip that works great for you so we can continue to learn and grow together as a community!

And, if you choose to share how YOU do diabetes anywhere on social media, use the #ThisIsHowIDoDiabetes so I can find and share your posts!

Please share these videos with anyone you think could benefit from the info 🙂

DISCLAIMER: The thoughts and opinions expressed in this video are strictly my own and are not associated with Dexcom, Inc. or any other company or product mentioned in this video. I was not approached or compensated for the making of this video.

I am NOT a medical doctor. In NO WAY should the information in this video be substituted for medical advice.

Comments

1. Great video Daniele! I haven’t done an insertion in my arm yet, and I was going to look for a video to show me how. Thanks!

• DiabetesDominator says:

Thanks so much Stephen! Best of luck with your first arm insertion…I feel like you got this one in the bag 😉

• Do you need much arm fat to work? Your arms look slender, but I’m nervous to try!

• DiabetesDominator says:

I personally don’t think there needs to be much arm fat, but as always when it comes to our own individual diabetes management practices, I say try it for yourself to see how you like it and decide from there. Best of luck! 🙂

2. So I thought I had heard that you can’t insert thru the skin tac. It’s great to know you can. Thanks 😃

• DiabetesDominator says:

Hey Emma! I always do it through the SkinTac, but again, each person might have a different experience. Talk soon, miss you! 🙂

3. Same here!! I have always put the dexcom on my stomach so now I am going to try my arm! Thanks for the tip about wearing the sensor longer than 7 days! The only problem is that I have noticed that my phone seems to always know when my 7 days are up….but great to know you get a month out of yours! Thanks for the video!

• Can I ask what you mean by your phone knows? At day seven just restart your sensor like you had changed it.

• Just that my phone
        will tell me to change it but I’m just going to disregard the message and restart without changing it

• DiabetesDominator says:

So glad you’re going to experiment with different sites! When your phone prompts you to change your sensor, just hit “Stop Sensor” and then immediately press “Start Sensor” again without changing the sensor. You will still have to wait the 2 hours and calibrate with 2 finger sticks when the warm up is done, but you won’t have to change the sensor. Hope that helps! Best of luck 🙂

4. This was so helpful. I’m anxiously waiting for my CGM to come in the mail. Your video has certainly helped put my mind at ease with insertion of the CGM. Thank you.

• DiabetesDominator says:

That’s awesome Nancy! I hope you love your CGM as much as I do. You will be totally fine with the insertion! Just do it fast and take a deep breath and you’ll be great 🙂

5. Thank you so much for posting this video! My 16yo daughter finally set up her Dexcom just last night and these tips will be so helpful! She’s had her Dexcom for almost 2 years but refused to even opened the box (due to bad experience with the Medtronic CGM from years ago). The last few months she’s been really struggling with many lows that have prevented her from doing her Crossfit workouts. Many tears later she finally agreed to try the Dexcom. So we bought it all again and here we go! Just seeing you in your “Bolus and Barbells” tank while wearing your CGM on your arm has made us fans for life!

You should know that what you are doing is making a positive impact on people’s lives. Being a teenage girl, with all the normal trials and tribulations that go along with that is hard enough. Add having T1D over half her life has left her feeling burnt out. She’s just done! It’s heartbreaking to see her struggle and not be able to take it away. Your upbeat videos show it CAN be done! Thank you!

• DiabetesDominator says:

Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words, Theresa! I’m thrilled to hear that your daughter is going to give the Dexcom a try…I absolutely LOVE it and I hope she does too! And yes, a happy, healthy, upbeat, fulfilling, vibrant, energetic life with T1D is 100% possible, it’s all about our attitudes, the choices we make minute to minute, day to day, and how we react to things that happen in our lives. Best of luck on your journey! 🙂

6. peter sandler says:

Daniele, my Dexcom sensors fly off of me within 3-4 day’s. I run marathons for JDRF and train very hard and no matter what I put on (tape, Benzoin tinjure,ect….) I can’t keep them on from all the sweat. I bought the Gripps but either did not get the right ones or am obtuse and can’t get them on right. Please…. do you have any advice..

7. Great demonstration Danielle! My T1D has worn Dexcom for two years, but we still enjoyed this instruction – but it’s very helpful in another way. Now we can help other family members feel more at ease with the process if the event should come up where I’m away and they need to help her place a new sensor.

• DiabetesDominator says:

Thanks so much for watching Paula! It makes my heart smile to hear that you found it helpful 🙂